25 Mar 2022
WEEKLY NEWS 25-March
This week's pick of Ocean Innovation and the Blue Economy News :
- Future Planet Capital launches New 20m blue ocean mandate.
Their aim is to invest in a portfolio of ten to fifteen high-growth and high-impact companies that profitably tackle key issues within the Blue Economy.
- What other medicines does the deep sea have to offer?
2 great examples of how the ocean could play a key role in developing new medicines. - Article 1 and Article 2
- Nautilus Labs Raises $34 Million in Series B Funding to Decarbonize Ocean Shipping.
The focus will be on addressing longstanding inefficiencies and the necessity for lower emissions across the ocean shipping leg of the supply chain.
- Five game-changing innovations share $525,000 prize to end microplastic pollution.
Microplastic pollution needs to be tackled at multiple levels, and these innovative companies are doing their bit.
- A digital twin for better ocean governance.
Digital twins could play a key role in advancing our knowledge and supporting the development of a sustainable blue economy.
- Climate Change Could Cost Shipping $25B Per Year.
To give you some context: roughly equivalent to the total annual net earnings for the container port sector in 2019.
- Jacques Cousteau’s grandson is building a network of ocean floor research stations.
Could this be the start of humans living and working underwater?
And finally some positive news….
- Some Hawaiian coral species show resilience to warming oceans.
However, we still need to do everything possible to stop further ocean warming.
Have a great weekend!
The OCEANOVATION Team!