WEEKLY NEWS - 18 Feb
Another interesting week in the World of Ocean Innovation and the Blue Economy….
Here are a couple of articles/ stories we thought worth sharing:
- How the pandemic has propelled maritime tech deals to new peaks.
Maritime tech is "hot." The last 12 months have seen VCs ramping up funding for start-ups and more maritime tech companies being sold. We are talking big numbers.
- What commitments were made for the Ocean at last week's One Ocean Summit?
Great to see the many commitments made by countries/ governments, corporates, and investors during One Ocean Summit. Let's hope it's not just words but actual actions that come out of these promises. Fingers crossed…
- Foul-smelling seaweed to capture carbon???
British start-up Seafields plans to construct vast farms in the Atlantic ocean, where sargassum seaweed will be grown, harvested, and sunk to the bottom of the ocean floor. The smell is a small price to pay if it works!!
- Plans for the creation of a new global ocean finance ecosystem unveiled.
Developing a new global finance ecosystem designed to channel hundreds of millions of dollars into coastal and Ocean natural capital by 2030 is fantastic news!
- Blue finance: what is it and how could it save the Ocean.
Blue bonds and blue loans, which are innovative instruments that earmark funds exclusively for ocean-friendly projects and protect critical clean water resources, are seeing a surge in interest.
- “The lungs of the Ocean”: The Labrador Sea keeps the world's oceans alive.
Never knew that the Labrador Sea is a provider of oxygen for oceans…
And finally, we just had to share this….. Want to see how beautiful and exciting the world is beneath the waves?
- 2022 Winners – Underwater Photographer of the Year.
Unbelievable underwater pictures…. Speaking from personal experience, taking good (let alone great) pictures underwater is not easy. Absolutely stunning photos! Check them out.
Have a great weekend!!