13 May 2022
WEEKLY NEWS - 13 May
This week's Ocean / Blue Economy Innovation Roundup:
- German start-up nets new investors for its vegan Seafood.
Happy Ocean Foods secures €300K through German TV show 'Lion's Den'.
- Minderoo Foundation project gives new view of plastic dumpsites in the world's worst ocean polluters.
A new global tech tool using Satellite vision and machine learning maps thousands of undocumented plastic waste dumps from the 24 worst countries.
- New Start-up offers portable anti-piracy barriers for rent.
Revolutionary anti-piracy vessel protection service by maritime start-up Palaemon Maritime saves an average of 64 percent against the cost of razor wire.
- South Korean Start-up aims to reduce marine accidents at port and sea with AI
Seadronix just secured a $5.8 million Series A extension to scale its AI-based ship berthing monitoring and navigation system
- Scientists in Taiwan are growing coral reefs on wind turbines.
The project aims to provide a "safe haven" for corals by growing them at the base of turbines.
- Sustainable Marine delivers first floating tidal power to Nova Scotia grid.
Nova Scotia wants to demonstrate the effectiveness, cost and environmental effects associated with this new form of energy generation.
- A Richmond Firm Aims to Help Save the Planet by Cleaning Ocean Vessels With Robots.
Arman Robotics's small, autonomous robots clean a ship's hull faster and cheaper than was previously possible.
- Ocean organism could be key to animal-free meat.
A fungus-like microbe taken from the ocean could be a vital ingredient in making everything from nutritional supplements, medicines and biofuels to animal-free meat.
- Blue SMEs are treading water due to lack of investment.
Lack of access to funding prevents blue economy start-ups from growing and hinders the development of ground-breaking technologies for a sustainable ocean. .
This is why we launched OCEANOVATION. Our mission is to support ocean innovators and accelerate innovative solutions for a sustainable ocean economy. To find out more or get involved: .www.oceanovation.world.
Have a Great Weekend!
The OCEANOVATION Team.