WEEKLY NEWS 1-April
This week’s Ocean & Blue Economy Innovation Roundup:
- Big boost for blue economy start-ups/ SMEs in Europe.
Commission and EIF agree to mobilise €500 million with a new equity fund for the Blue Economy.
- Seaweed-based bacon start-up lands $3 million funding.
(Another) example of what is possible with Seaweed.
- Schmidt Marine launches a new $3,5 million global fisheries technology initiative.
Funding to support the development of new technologies that increase fisheries sustainability.
- The Seaweed Company raises growth capital
(Another) seaweed company raised capital this week.
- Tom Ford Announces Plastic Innovation Prize Finalists for Ocean-Safe Alternatives Competition.
Great list of companies from all over the world with some really innovative solutions.
- US plans to expand network of ocean innovation clusters to grow Blue Economy.
The US wants to catch up with Europe and, in particular Norway and Iceland).
- Dearth of data could leave blue finance lagging
Ocean data will be instrumental for future investments in the Blue Economy.
- Flux marine raises $15.5 in oversubscribed Series A round to electrify marine outboards.
Looking to advance its award-winning zero-emission electric outboard motors to market.
- $25 million awarded for testing wave energy technology at OSU’s PacWave South facility
8 companies receive funding to test their wave energy converter solutions/ technologies.
If you like ocean-related podcasts or are interested in investing in ocean conservation/ restoration, then check out the podcast series “Investing for Ocean Impact” by Dorothee Herr of Blue Natural Capital (IUCN).
Have a great weekend!
The OCEANOVATION TEAM