WEEKLY NEWS - 11 March
What's new this week in Ocean Innovation & Blue Economy…?
Well… A couple of things:
- 12 organisations delivering on the promise of Blue Carbon
World Economic Forum (WEF) announces the winners of the Blue Carbon Challenge.
- Sustained innovation and cross-border collaboration marks 2021 for Ocean Energy (according to IEA)
Ocean Energy Systems (OES), a technology collaboration program within the International Energy Agency (IEA), releases its annual report.
- A new Tech Tool may help crab fishers sidestep dead zones
Low-cost sensors that fit into crab pots could provide real-time data on oxygen fluctuations in the ocean.
- Wind Turbines could help reverse some effects of Climate Change
Placing wind turbines in deep water could be an important tool in the battle of saving ocean ecosystems.
- Ocean 14 Capital to invest in 20 to 25 Aquaculture, fishing firms committed to UN SDGs
The aim is to build a portfolio that "offers both environmental benefits for oceans and competitive financial gains for investors."
- Oops, cleaning the Great Pacific Garbage Patch was probably a bad idea
Spoiler alert; it might be better to start at the source or before plastic reaches the oceans.
- "Wave reserves' may help ensure conservation of ecologically valuable coastal areas
Initially developed to protect treasured surf spots, now a new way of protecting the coasts.
- RoboKrill: A crustacean-inspired swimming robot for marine exploration
"It's not really slow… it's not very fast… it's somewhere in between". But a cool idea!
And Finally…. Tuesday was International Women's Day.
The 2022 UN theme was "Gender Equality Today for a Sustainable Tomorrow", recognizing the contribution of women and girls worldwide, who are leading the charge on climate change adaptation, mitigation, and response, to build a more sustainable future for all.
OCEANOVATION salutes all women and girls who work passionately for a sustainable future for our ocean. We are grateful for your contributions and leadership driving much-needed change. 🙏🙏🙏
Enjoy your weekend!!
The OCEANOVATION TEAM